That’s all she wrote! Farewell after three years as Editor

Photo by Maya Pontes
Kathryn Williams would like to thank everyone on the Crier staff for their hard work, especially her fellow seniors

As I look towards all the lasts in the coming weeks leading up to my graduation, nothing is as daunting as writing my last Crier editorial. This newspaper has been a central part of my college life for the past four years. From meeting some of my favorite people ever in journalism class, to the original SAC Spotlight team, to hundreds of hours spent in the newsroom, my time with the Crier will always be one of the most valuable experiences of my life.

I am incredibly honored to be the first three-year editor-in-chief of this newspaper. This experience has taught me many valuable lessons in leadership, including how important it is to invest in the people around you. To everyone who sat with me for interviews, who took photos, who edited stories, who pitched ideas, wrote crosswords, and drew comics, thank you. I would not be the journalist, or person, I am today if not for the amazing team at the Crier and the network that the Saint Anselm community provides. 

While I’ve worked hard on every issue to try to make this paper the best it can be, the greatest moments of learning have come from recognizing mistakes that I made along the way. At the end of the day, we are all students trying to learn and do the most we can. My biggest piece of advice is to not let the fear of making mistakes stop you from trying new things or taking on challenges. This is an especially great place to do this, as there are many Anselmians who are eager to teach and assist if only you are willing to ask!

This is an incredibly difficult chapter to close and it is difficult to find the words to do so. While I’m not yet sure what the future holds for me, I know that I will carry the lessons of the Crier with me wherever I go. I am honored to have played a small part in the over 60 year long legacy of this paper and I cannot wait to see how it continues to grow in the coming years.