Gender Studies announces fall events

Jasmine Blais, Culture Editor

Gender Studies teams with co-sponsors to bring diversity awareness to the Hilltop this fall. The minor gives students the methodological and theoretical tools to analyze gender’s role and significance in the social, political, and personal formation of the human person.

In October, Gender Studies and the Muslim Student Association will present Hijab Awareness week from Oct. 18 to Oct. 21. The events will examine the role of perceptions of hijab in current Islamophobia.

Gender Studies and RLC Community Service present the screening of “Mothers of Bedford.” The film follows five women incarcerated in Bedford Hills Correctional Facility (NY) as they strive to improve themselves, maintain family bonds, and nurture their children from behind bars. The purpose of this screening is to raise awareness of the new Dismas Home, a transitional home for women paroled from Goffstown Prison. Saint Anselm is formally partnered with Dismas Home, which is located near campus, and students are already volunteering there.

Gender Studies partners with Multicultural Center to present spoken-word poetry with award-winning poet Elizabeth Acevedo, as part of Hispanic Heritage Month.

As part of “Enough is Enough” week, the Assault & Violence Education & Reporting Team (AVERT), and Gender Studies will show “Audrie and Daisy” (2016). The film explores the role of social media in sexual assault.

Finally, the Department of History and Gender Studies will show “Hijack Stories” (2000). Sarah Hardin writes, “The movie presents the making of a TV show about carjacking, and in so doing, discusses economic, racial, and gender issues in post-apartheid South Africa. The film critiques in particular limited economic options and limited masculine roles.”

Stay tuned for more exciting news from Gender Studies throughout the year, and view the upcoming events here.