Rare facsimile of Saint John’s Bible arrives at library Friday

It is one of only 299 copies of the New Revised Standard Version

Abigail Konig, Crier Staff

Saint Anselm College welcomes the Saint John’s Bible to Geisel Library, Friday Sept. 29. A much anticipated event, the library is buzzing with excitement over having one of 299 copies of the New Revised Standard Version on display at Saint Anselm College.

This particular Bible is special not only because of the artistry of those who created it, but also because it is in English, not the traditional Latin of an illuminated Bible. The pages are carefully illustrated with images from all faiths, not just Christianity.

The arrival of the facsimile was initiated by Br. Isaac Murphy, O.S.B. and Charles Getchell, College Librarian, and will be on campus until October of 2017. Saint Anselm College was able to have on loan this special edition of the Gospels and Acts from Saint John’s University and Abbey, Benedictine institutions located in Collegeville, Minnesota.

The seven-volume set of the Gospels and Acts was originally illuminated by Donald Jackson, a British scribe and the calligrapher to the Crown Office of United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. The facsimile is a stunning printed copy with both gold and silver leaf, printed via printing press and hand-stamped. Jackson recruited master calligraphers and illustrators to assist in the making of the Saint John’s Bible, and each page is a testament to the creativity of each person involved.

Saint John’s Bible, which will displayed at Geisel for one year.
Courtesy\Saint John’s University

Saint Anselm College received the Saint John’s Bible on loan for a year. It will be available for classes to observe and use for assignments. Books regarding the making of this Bible will be on reserve at the library.

The Geisel Library staff agree that having the Saint John’s facsimile here is not only a benefit for educational purposes, but for the community at large. “I think it’s exciting that we’re going to have it here,” Hannah Lindquist, a Reference and Instruction Librarian, remarked during an interview last Thursday, “It’s interesting to see scientific understanding and religion depicted as compatible. It acknowledges different viewpoints and ways of looking at the world”.

The impact that this facsimile will have on Saint Anselm College far surpasses education and religious classes, but also the understanding of one’s faith. Melinda Malik, Head of Reference and Instructional Services, reflected on her own Catholic education and the impact that this bible would have had on her faith if it were available during that time. “It is helping me reflect on my own experience going to Catholic school for 12 years. It would have impacted the way I look at my faith. I can’t wait to see how the students react – we have a front row seat.”

Starting this week, the Saint John’s Bible will be on display in the lobby of Geisel Library. Theology, Fine Arts and Conversatio classes, among others, will be given the opportunity to use the facsimile in class and programs will be held regarding the bible.

Father Michael Patella, O.S.B., from Saint John’s Abbey will be giving a lecture on Saint Luke in conjunction with the Conversatio curriculum at The New Hampshire Institute of Politics Nov. 11 at 7pm.