Earthquake Destroys Basilica di San Benedetto

Susan Donahue, News Editor

A 6.6-magnitude earthquake which struck just north of Norcia in central Italy destroyed most of the Basilica di San Benedetto on Sunday, Oct. 30 reported CNN. The tremor injured at least 20 people but there have yet to be any reported deaths.

CNN said many citizens of the surrounding towns had not returned to the area since the massive earthquake in August which killed almost 300 people.

Saint Anselm college currently has students studying abroad in Florence, Italy.

Sarah Keefe, director of the Office of International Programs at Saint Anselm College, told The Crier that all students studying abroad in Florence, Italy have been contacted and were not affected by the earthquake.

Saint Anselm College also has a study abroad program which sends students and faculty to study in Orvieto, Italy during the spring semester.

David B. George, professor and chair of Classics and also Semester in Orvieto faculty director, told The Crier that none of the buildings used in the spring program were damaged by the earthquakes.He stated that, “It has been many years since there has been any earthquake damage in Orvieto.”

George denied that the Orvieto program would be affected by the recent earthquakes in Italy. He stated that the earthquakes are following a fault line that runs up the east side of the Apennine which is in a different geological region than Orvieto.

However, Saint Anselm College has felt the affects of the Oct. 30 earthquake because of the destruction to the Basilica di San Benedetto. Only the facade of the basilica remains intact according to CNN.

Fr. Jerome Day O.S.B., member of the Saint Anselm College monastic community, told The Crier that the medieval basilica marks what is believed to be the birthplace of Saints Benedict and Scholastica. St. Benedict is the founder of the Benedictine Order and the writer of the Holy Rule.

Fr. Jerome lead a pilgrimage from Saint Raphael Parish. He serves as pastor of the parish, which is sponsored by the monastic community at Saint Anselm. This pilgrimage included visiting the Basilica di San Benedetto which Fr. Jerome said was “an intimate and prayerful setting for the monks to pray and celebrate the Liturgy of the Hours and for visitors to come and encounter God’s presence.”

Fr. Jerome also discussed his reaction to the recent destruction of the basilica with The Crier saying, “I feel terrible about the losses for the monks and the people of Norcia and the whole region of Umbria, where the tremors have struck. It is a loss of part of our history and a loss of a particular place that has been dear to Benedictines and the Church more generally for centuries. My hope is that we will be able to send some financial support from the parish, and perhaps the college and abbey too. Certainly, we will keep the community in Norcia and the Italian people in our prayers.”