Soccer off to slow start as NE-10 play heats up

Connor MacGregor, Crier Staff

Both men’s and women’s soccer are struggling so far this season as the calendar is soon to change over to October. The women’s team, who started the season 2-2, have now lost three of their last four games. The squad drew 1-1 against Bentley on Sept. 20 for their other result. Their male counterparts are off to a similar start, at 2-5, but are coming off a shutout victory against Saint Rose Sept. 24.

The women played against NE-10 foe Assumption College at home on Sept. 17 in a defensive battle from the start with a completely scoreless first half. The game did not see a goal until the 69th minute of the game when Greyhound Amanda Arnold scored on Cassie Quattropani who played the whole game for the Hawks in net totaling 5 saves. Saint A’s was unable to convert their 5 shots on goal to any scores.

Saint A’s traveled to Waltham, Mass., on Sept. 20 to play another conference rival, this time, Bentley University. The Falcons scored at the 22 minute mark in the first half grabbing the early lead and holding on for almost all of the game. The Hawks left it late, but got the equalizer with less than three minutes to go in regulation time when Junior Hawk Alexis Elowitch scored on a volley, her first goal of the season. Freshman Caly Farina had the assist on the play. The Hawks and the Falcons then battled for two overtime periods and neither team was able to score; the contest concluded as a draw.

The Lady Hawks dropped a 2-1 result Sept. 24 to Le Moyne College. The Dolphins jumped out early scoring two goals in the first half. Saint A’s responded cutting the lead to just one after Caly Farina put home a rebound less than five minutes into the second frame. The Hawks were not able to come all the way back, although they out shot Le Moyne 7-4 in the second half.

Despite the recent results, head coach Tony Wallis is still optimistic about the rest of season. When asked about what was the key for the team to get better Wallis responded by saying “We are getting a bit better each game and it’s all about doing all the little things right. Playing really well and coming back to tie Bentley was a big confidence boost…I like our chances to make the post season.”

Men's Soccer team talking strategy prior to kickoff against Le Moyne Sept. 27.
Crier\Tim Mannila
Men’s Soccer team talking strategy prior to kickoff against Le Moyne Sept. 27.

In comparison, the men have started pedestrian as well, but did pickup their second victory of the season under new head coach Bruno Victal on Sept. 24 against Saint Rose.

The American International Yellow Jackets came to Melucci Field to face Saint A’s on Sept. 17. The Sophomore Emmet O’Callaghan got the game’s first goal for the Hawks in the 53rd minute after the two teams were scoreless in the opening half. But, AIC responded just four minutes later to even up the contest. The Yellow Jackets found the back of the net two more times to win 3-1.

After the tough loss to AIC, the Hawks played 4 days later against the Saint Michael’s Purple Knights. Saint Mike’s got started early scoring in a lightning-quick 9:51 into the game and took this lead into the locker room. The second half began the same way for the Purple Knights where they built a 2-0 advantage in the 52nd minute. The Hawks received some life though, as senior Jack Lynch scored just seven minutes later putting Saint A’s back within one goal. Despite Lynch’s strong play, the Hawks couldn’t muster up another goal and took another conference loss on Sept. 21.

The men grabbed their second conference victory and second win overall when they defeated the College of Saint Rose Sept. 24. The two NE-10 schools played a scoreless game for 88 minutes, but that’s when it changed. The Hawks shocked the Golden Knights when JD Hayward slotted the ball home from the penalty shot line. Saint Rose severely out shot the Hawks 12-4, but Saint A’s executed on their few opportunities winning one nil.

The men hosted Le Moyne on Sept. 27 dropping an OT decision 2-1. The women played Saint Mike’s Wed, Sept. 28, but the results of the contests were not available at the time of print.