NHIOP to host 2014 Granite State Debates

Nicolette Manzi, Crier Staff

In October, the New Hampshire Institute of Politics October will be hosting the Granite State Debates, where ABC news anchor George Stephanopoulos will moderate debates between well-known candidates such as Scott Brown and Jeanne Shaheen.

The first rounds of debates will begin with 1st congressional office on October 27 and debates for 2nd congressional office proceeding the next day.

Gubernatorial candidates and debates for US senate will wrap up these three days of debates. All four debates will air on WMUR-TV and the US Senate debate will air on ABC news’s website.

The Granite State Debates will even be opened for the public and will be expecting to draw in a large crowd.

Freshman politics major, Clare Robbins comments on significance of the debates and what it will do for Saint A’s.

“The debates aren’t only being watched by New Hampshirites but by people all over the country,” she said. “George Stephanoplous anchoring the event is really going to be an incredible experience. Both these debates and having him as an anchor will put Saint A’s and NHIOP on the map this month.”

The Granite State Debates, along with many other events at NHIOP are a great way to be a part of ground breaking events, and can still be interesting even if your major isn’t politics. Robbins agrees, believing that there is a little something for everyone at NHIOP.

“I like NHIOP and the events it offers because there is something there for everyone,” she said. “No matter your interest or major, you could look at the events for the year and find something you could learn or benefit from.”

The Granite State Debates be a very exciting time for NHIOP and will also allow Saint A’s to receive recognition in the media. Check them out on October 27- 30.