Career services: ‘Experts on campus regarding professional development’

Dan Pierson, Crier Staff

From freshmen to seniors, Career Services, located on the second floor of Cushing Center, is one of the most important assets any student at Saint Anselm College can utilize.

Career Services maintains contact with employers and alumni who want to hire graduates for internships and full time jobs.

They communicate with these employers in order to understand what they are looking for in potential employees and relay that information to Saint Anselm students for a competitive edge in the hiring process.

Career Services also offers a broad range of programs and opportunities for current students looking for jobs, internships and career planning advice

Starting freshman year, students have every opportunity to make themselves a desirable and competitive workplace hire.

For students not sure of what field they want to pursue, there is FOCUS 2, an online career and education planning tool, which can be accessed through the school website.

According to Director of Career Services Sam Allen, “We’re the experts on campus regarding professional development.”

Allen and Assistant Director of Career Services Carol Sacchetti are both trained to administer the Meyers-Briggs personality test, meant to measure psychological preferences in how people perceive the world, which to help determine the type of career might be best suited for an individual.

Career Services also offers internship fairs, bringing prospective employers to campus and allowing students a chance to utilize their networking abilities.

One of the most important things maintained by Career Services is the alumni network.

Along with with the aforementioned networking between former Anselmian employers and current students, the center frequenttly hosts alumni panels and guest speakers at the college.

“Our Alumni are passionate about helping our students be successful,” Allen shared. “It’s been a rare occasion where I’ve ever had an Alum say ‘no’ to me.”

One of the most underrated programs Career Services offers is its web-based ACES program, accessible on the school website.

ACES is a career management system that offers 24/7 access to available jobs and internships around the country, as well as tutorials ranging from how to create a resume, cover letter, how to network and even the correct way to set up a LinkedIn page.

The system is available to all students, as each student is automatically signed up for the program and may access it by logging into their portal.

Career Services holds drop-in resume review sessions from 1:00-4:00 PM every Tuesday and Wednesday in order to ensure that best aspects of students’ work are accurately and correctly showcased.

All students are welcome, and encouraged, to utilize Career Services.