Three seniors earn full scholarship for spring semester

Sam Webb, Senior Reporter

Cameron Wood ’15, an English major, was named the 2014-2015 Father Bernard Holmes, O.S.B. Scholar and Riley Duggan ’15 and David Oslin ’15 were named the Thomas A. Melucci Jr. Memorial Scholarship recipients for this year.

Three seniors every year are awarded full tuition scholarships based on their activity and involvement in the community.

The Melucci scholarship is for students who have shown great growth in their time at the college in many areas, including their spiritual lives.

The goal is to give the scholarship to students who are examples of Anselmian and Benedictine values.

Riley Duggan is a Peace and Justice major who is active in both the Office of Campus Ministry and in the Meelia Center for Community Service.

She has participated in Road for Hope many years, a program run by Campus Ministry in which students walk from Maine to the college, donating funds to charities along the way.

Duggan has also been a participant of the Service and Solidarity program, having gone on several trips. She will be leading one this spring to South Dakota.

Along with that, she is a member of both the Daughters of Isabella and the Saint Elizabeth Seton Society.

Last year, she organized a fundraiser for the Amigos de Jesus orphanage in Honduras, where she spent a month this summer volunteering at their summer camp.

David Oslin is also a leader in the Office for Campus Ministry. Just last year he won the Sister Pauline Lucier Campus Ministry Service Award, recognizing his faith and service life’s effect on the Saint Anselm community.

The Philosophy and Economics major has led several retreats through the Office of Campus Ministry. He also helps to coordinate the music for Wednesday Night Masses.

Oslin has gone on several Service and Solidarity trips, and just last winter he led a trip to New Jersey, where Saint Anselm students worked with Habitat for Humanity.

Both the Duggan and Oslin were humbled and amazed that they won the scholarship.

Duggan commented, “I was completely shocked when Father John told me I was a Melucci Scholarship recipient. From not knowing the scholarship existed, to being one of the recipients was a humbling experience. It showed me how actions and character that one learns at Saint A’s goes beyond our campus and beyond our four years. Not only did it relieve financial stress but it reaffirmed how important being involved is as Saint A’s has so much to offer and everything we do contributes to our future selves and the community around us.”

Oslin shared similar emotions, saying, “Mr. and Mrs. Melucci have given me faith, hope, and love by a simple act of generosity. Their selfless example is important in a world inundated with negativity. I hope to pass-it-forward, to someday pass on the material and spiritual love they have shown us to others in need of faith, hope, and love.

Cameron Wood, the Holmes Scholar for 2014-2015, has had a little while to feel the effect that his full scholarship has had on his life.

Wood commented, “Receiving the Father Bernard Holmes O.S.B. Senior Student Award is a humbling honor. Saint Anselm College has provided the best college experience that I could have ever asked for, and to know that I have been able to make even the slightest positive impact on my Anselmian community means more than words can say.