New Hall Sheds Light on Existing Housing Issues

Vanessa Burton, Crier Staff

Since the construction of the New Hall at Saint Anselm and residency in what is now known has the Living Learning Commons (LLC) has begun, students feel that the college has neglected already existing housing areas that are in need of serious repair and renovation.

The $10 million LLC stands tall as a symbol of the school’s efforts to expand housing options to students. Just across the street lies Croydon Court, a set of older housing options originally designed to host students temporarily but were soon converted into a permanent solution for a lack of residence halls.

Although a new residence hall was necessary to accommodate to the growing student population of Saint A’s, it has set the standard for the ability of the college to provide beautiful and up-to-date housing. This has led students to recognize the faults in the older and less advanced housing areas, such as Croydon Court, Saint Benedict Court, and even Father Bernard Court, among others. Students question why the school is able to funnel funds into projects such as a new residence hall and landscape renovations but is unable to repair rotted windows or provide more laundry appliances.

Lexy Ashburne ’16 lives in Raphael with her three roommates, a building that is a part of Croydon Court. When asked about conditions in her building, she responded with less than positive remarks.

“Well, for about two weeks when you entered into the dorm, the first thing you saw was a large section of the wall ripped out,” said Ms. Ashburne of the current Raphael situation. Due to an issue in the bathroom, physical plant had been forced to remove a wall which took weeks to replace.

“Also, when Physical Plant came to fix the fourth shower, the bathroom smelled like paint for days, so much so that I would hold my breath while I was in there,” Ms. Ashburne added.

For students living in Lowers and Uppers, conditions are similar. A large amount of students have admitted to submitting work orders to Physical Plant, leaving them overwhelmed with repairs.

Although it causes frustration for current students, there is hope for the future of the buildings. Susan Weintraub, Director of Residential Life at the college said there is a possibility for renovations.

“I’ve heard the ‘rumors’ about renovations but I’ve not been given a timeline or a definitive,” said Ms. Weintraub. “I imagine, as with most large repairs, those would happen over the summer and I generally get that list at least in the spring.”

Ms. Weintraub also added that planning has begun for the addition of more washers and dryers to Croydon Court, Saint Benedict Court, as well as Streets. This would require renovation of these areas to accommodate, an issue that will be discussed within the next few weeks.

For students living in Lowers, measurements have also begun to install new windows, a much needed repair for the rotten ones that are currently installed. Although these renovations will not go into effect during this academic year, it will provide better housing to future residents.

The school may have plans to repair and renovate buildings, but that does not help the students currently experiencing the issues. Before students begin complaining further, the school needs to address the issues for residents living in the older and less than perfect halls and apartments. Considering the school was able to build a 150 room residence hall for $10 million, repairs and renovations of currently existing buildings should absolutely be addressed.