Fullness of ‘Novus Ordo’ provides a way to enhance unity of the Church

Courtesy/Office of Campus Ministry

The Novus Ordno is celebrated by many Catholics, including here at St. A’s

Thomas Canuel, Crier Staff

A few weeks ago, an article was published in the Saint Anselm Crier about the so-called “Latin Mass,” the celebration of the Sacrament of the Eucharist which uses the liturgical books/rubrics promulgated by Pope Saint John XXIII in 1962. The article displayed a controversy that has played out in recent years which, if left unchecked, threatens the very unity of the Church. In particular, the article addressed how the Novus Ordo Mass, the celebration of the Sacrament of the Eucharist most Catholics attend today which uses liturgical books/rubrics last revised in English in 2010, “has been hijacked by extremists who desire nothing more than to tear down the Church from her very foundation.” For Catholics and non-Catholics alike, this comment is both incredibly concerning and extremely derogatory because it sets up an extreme false dichotomy that sows division and antagonizes Catholics who prefer the Novus Ordo

Let me explain. In John’s Gospel, Christ says: “I give you a new commandment: love one another. As I have loved you, so you also should love one another.” Our faith teaches us that above all, even in times of uncertainty or fear, we are compelled to respect, love, and care for others no matter their opinions or intentions. With this said, there are very very few people period that want “to infiltrate the Church.” Many Catholics want to see the Church grow and seek to create a better world for themselves and their children. Therefore, classifying most Catholics as “infiltrators” paints a very inaccurate portrayal of the Church.

Christ teaches us to build up an ethic of respect and love for one other. While the writer of the Latin Mass article was attempting to paint a picture of the beauty of the Latin Mass, their article failed to show respect and love for other Catholics, particularly those who prefer the Novus Ordo liturgy to the Latin Mass. I feel sorry that the writer experienced poor Novus Ordo liturgies in his past, and I hope that he has the opportunity to experience the fullness of the Novus Ordo, particularly here at Saint Anselm Abbey. However, the tone of his article, while conveying the beauty of the Latin Mass, also alienated faithful Catholics who are doing their best to worship the God who created all of us.

However, this article was a wake-up call for all Catholics. Pope Francis’s recent Motu Proprio limiting the Latin Mass has instilled fear in many other faithful Catholics. For those of us who attend the Novus Ordo on a regular basis, we should avoid gossiping about the Latin Mass and making those who want to attend that Mass feel alienated. Every action we do should be a form of evangelization, and the best way for all the hurt and fear to go away is if we do our part in Christ’s mission of love.

For the non-Catholics and Catholics who have made it this far, there is one point I hope for you to take away from my article. It does not matter what type of Mass you go to: Latin Mass or Novus Ordo or any other. What matters is that we open our hearts to Christ and allow Him to transform our hearts and minds. The tension present in this debate might not go away for a long time, but all Catholics are called to move past this tension and find Christ in all people, especially those with differing opinions. May God bless all of you.