Passages 2017: Members of the Class of 2021 learn what it means to be Anselmian

Emily Maier, Crier Staff

Among the many activities incoming freshmen took part in this past summer, some took the extra mile and participated in Saint Anselm’s annual Passages program. This past summer, the Passages program featured four different trips to four separate locations. With each expedition presenting a range of activities, and each option taking place in a different state, there was sure to be something for everyone.

Students paid $375 for all the activities, lodging, meals, and transportation throughout the program. Every trip lasted about five days, during which faculty members and trained student leaders, known as Passages Guides, led incoming freshmen through their individual journeys. Not only did the program encourage bonding between members of the Class of 2021, but it also showed students a little bit of what Anselmian life is all about.

The earliest outing occurred on July 17 to July 21 and took place mostly in northern Vermont at Lake Champlain. During the Vermont portion of the trip, incoming freshmen stayed in cabins at Saint Anne’s Shrine and were able to kayak, canoe, hike, and bike. Students were also able to venture into Canada, where they got to spend the day in Montreal, looking at various landmarks within the city.

The trip ended with a day of service in a nearby community, helping students get inspired about the impact of volunteering. The Office of Student Activities and Leadership Programs, through which Passages was made possible, hopes that this particular trip taught incoming freshmen about “positive group dynamics, leadership, and classic cathedrals.”

The second trip took place in Maine at Acadia National Park, from July 24 to July 28. On this excursion, participants were able to hike, camp out in tents, and spend their nights gathered around cozy campfires. The Class of 2021 was also given the opportunity to volunteer for two certified organic farms.

Student Activities says that the focus of this trip was to gain “an established connection to the SAC community, an understanding of how food is cultivated, and an appreciation for our protected lands.” By getting closer to nature, incoming freshmen could take the time to appreciate the scenic land around them, as well as the new community of people they found themselves in.

The third excursion brought the incoming freshmen to the historical site of Gettysburg, Pennsylvania, in a trip that lasted from Aug. 1 to Aug. 5. Student Activities labeled it a trip that any “historian” or “trivia buff” would love. For the members of the 2021 class who chose this option, they had the opportunity to tour historical battlefields, explore Harpers Ferry, and go down the Shenandoah River in rafts. In looking at history, this trip taught participants a multitude of things, such as the effects of leadership, acts of heroism, spirituality, and ethos.

Lastly, students who chose to go during Aug. 4 to Aug. 8 were brought to the Adirondack Park in northeast New York. This trip included staying in cabins on the state park, a ropes course with zip lines, hiking, canoeing, and swimming. Student Activities hope that the incoming freshmen on this outing learned about “historical knowledge, understanding environmental issues, land management, outdoor leadership, and the importance of having wild, protected areas.”

The community at Saint Anselm works together to cultivate an open, accepting atmosphere within the college, where everyone’s differences are acknowledged and celebrated. The people working for Student Activities and Leadership Programs know that each person has different personalities and tastes, so a variety of different trips were made to accommodate this fact. Whether students enjoy physical activities such as hiking and swimming, learning about history, or helping others through volunteering, there was sure to be a little something for everyone on Passages 2017.