Albina goes from I.T. to faculty

Meghan Sullivan, Crier Staff

Dr. Adam Albina, of the IT Department, will be making his mark on campus in a new way this Fall. Albina has been very involved in the Saint Anselm College IT Department for the past fifteen years and has been the Chief Information Officer for 13 years after being promoted in 2005. He has recently received his doctorate and will be starting as a professor here in the Fall.

Leaving behind the IT department won’t be easy for Albina, however. “It has been an honor for me to have led the terrific people in the Information Technology Department at Saint Anselm College for these last fifteen years,” he commends.

When Albina started at Saint Anselm College, he was the Director of Information Technology. However, after creating Instructional Technology and Design, a part of IT, he was promoted to the Chief of Information Officer.

When Dr.Albina arrived here in 2003, the campus was just starting to experience with Wifi, there was a campus phone in every residence hall rather than cell phones, and there were very few Colleges letting students register for classes online.

Flash forward to today and Wifi is sweeping every inch of our campus, every student has a cell phone and nearly everyone registers for classes on their laptop or smartphone. Albina has contributed to much of this progress with the IT Department and he says he is “proud to have been a part of making those things happen on the Hilltop.”

Albina has been adjunct faculty at Mount Saint Mary College, West Point, and UNH Manchester, as well as an adjunct, here, at Saint Anselm since 2009. He shares that his interactions with students at both West Point and Saint Anselm College are what encouraged him to move out of administration, into education. “Both institutions are special places that attract special students,”he continues,” Seeing the desire to learn, the excitement of discovery in the eyes of Saint Anselm College students was encouragement enough to focus on teaching and research full time.”

Working with undergraduates and conducting research gave Adam the inspiration to pursue his doctorate in Information Studies.

Albina has always felt very passionate about the research portion of the academic life and has experience with others research in practice as the Director of Software Engineering at West Point and as CIO at Saint Anselm College.

After going through an interview process with several other candidates for a Computer Science position at Saint Anselm College, Dr.Albina was offered the position. He has accepted and will defend his dissertation in February.

Albina is looking forward to teaching here, “I know Saint Anselm College quite well, and I love the sense of community here. I’m looking forward to the Fall.”